April 29, 2009

Comprehending that Wonderful and Sacred Mystery

I commend to your attention a statement on the nature of the church, with guideposts to its stability, growth, and mission, found at a new blog aptly named Comprehensiveness for the Sake of Truth. It provides a stable foundation for further building.

As I have reflected in the past, the only way to be sure we have comprehended truth is to lay hold of the One who is Truth. That comprehension is as much if not more so a matter of love than of knowledge. However wide the reach of our embrace, our ultimate hope is to fall into the outstretched arms of a loving God.

I invite you to read the document, which serves as an expansion of the Lambeth Quadrilateral with the addition of two more points of reference (our common liturgy and mission).

Tobias Stanislas Haller BSG

ps. at the end of the statement is a link to send an email to subscribe your name, parish and diocese.

9 comments:

June Butler said...

Tobias, I added my name. I think it's excellent. Who wrote it?

Anonymous said...

This really is excellent. I'd sign it in a heartbeat. My only concern -- and this is not about its substance so much as its use as a teaching tool -- is that its eloquence is a little, well, 19th century. I fear that people who don't already feel comfortable reading F.D.Maurice will find its many claused sentences a bit off putting. But it nicely touches on the need both for courage in embracing the radical promise of the Gospel and humble gratitude in embracing the thought and prayer, the love and sacrifice of our spiritual ancestors, who have lived through controversies of their own. Many thanks!

Peace,

Mark.

Tobias Stanislas Haller BSG said...

Thanks Mimi. Christopher was the primary instigator, and (I think) author. There were other hands in the mix, doing some review and reference work.

Mark, I agree the language is "rich and chewy" -- but actually I see that as an opportunity to use it as a teaching tool, to pick apart and expand upon.

Terry said...

This is an excllent statement, in my opinion. I am currently not in a position to be able to sign any statements, so may this affirmation serve as my personal endorsement.

FrSean said...

This statement is so very hope filled for me. God bless us, we might just be onto something.

Tobias Stanislas Haller BSG said...

Thanks for the additional comments. Dah-veed, I forwarded yours to the "sign-up" collection unit!

Blessings to all.

Christopher said...

Some commentary. Where it is certain brushstrokes are ponderous and complicated account it to over-familiarity with German and an anachronistic tendency.

Fr. Bryan Owen said...

"Comprehensiveness for the Sake of Truth" is a fine statement that not only upholds and affirms the dogmatic core of the Christian faith, but also, IMO, aptly expresses the substantive theology that holds the "diverse center" of the Episcopal Church together in the midst of our diversity and disagreements.

Paula said...

What a lovely document. Efforts like this -- rigorous, loving, comprehensive -- renew and sustain my conviction that I made the right choice of church when I was confirmed 2 years ago.